Tuscumbia First United Methodist Church
Organized Methodism came to our area by circuit-riding ministers, as early as 1820. Tuscumbia was known as Ococoposo (1820), Big Spring (1821), and became know as Tuscumbia in 1822. Tuscumbia Methodist Episcopal Church was formally organized in 1822, as a part of the Franklin Circuit of the Cahawba District of Mississippi Conference. It was later transferred to the Huntsville District of the Tennessee Conference. Methodists first met in a small log schoolhouse located on a hill at the big spring (Spring Creek). A new building was erected in 1826, at the corner of Dickson and 7th Streets, where the present Fire and Police Departments are located.
Rev. John Hayne preached the first sermon in the new building in 1927. In 1828 the Tuscumbia Sunday School Union was organized. Membership totals fluctuated from the 1830's through the Civil War period. Services were completely disrupted during the Civil War when Union troops took over the Church building.
The Methodist Church has had three name changes: In 1846 the Tuscumbia Church, along with most Southern members, separated from the Methodist Episcopal Church and formed The Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1939 The Methodist Episcopal Church, The Methodist Episcopal Church, South and The Methodist Protestant Church merged to become The Methodist Church. In 1968 The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church merged to become The United Methodist Church..
The North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was created on November 16, 1870 and Tuscumbia was assigned to the Florence District. In 1874, a tornado wrought heavy damage to the city, including The Methodist Church building. In 1902 the building was remodeled and renovated. In 1907 the Ladies Aid Society purchased a house and lot at Main and Third Streets. This house replaced the old parsonage, located at the rear of the Old Church. A new church was begun at the corner of Main and Third on June 19, 1925. The brick church was completed at a cost of $100,000, and formally opened June 27, 1926.
In 1942 this debt was paid in full. In 1951 a new parsonage was built at the corner of Third and Dickson Streets.
In 1961 a three-story educational building was built adjoining the rear of the existing church building, at a cost of $150,000. This was paid in full in 1968.
In 2003 a Family Life Center was begun and was completed in February of 2004.
Annual Conference has met at Tuscumbia five times: November, 1827, the Tennessee Conference met here, at which time Tuscumbia was first made a station with a resident pastor; the North Alabama Conference met here in 1903, 1927, 1940, and in 1951.